will lack of corporate support kill off Linux?

Mike Coleman mkc at mathdogs.com
Tue Jul 17 04:45:36 CDT 2001

Jim Herrmann <b3d at kc.rr.com> writes:
> Anil seemed to be writing from somewhere deep in the bowels of Sprint,
> certainly a large mainframe shop.

I wonder if they still are.  I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if they had a
few, but I bet most of the occupants of the glass rooms are Unix boxes of
various flavors (and probably lots of Windows servers as well).

These days *every* machine is effectively a mainframe compared to what was
available in the early 80s.  I think that that means that for choosing the
type of hardware to be used, bureaucracy and politics has grown more important
and raw capacity has declined in importance somewhat.  I suspect that most of
the things people use computers for could be run on a PC (or maybe a small
collection of PCs).  Running Linux, of course.  :-)

--
Mike Coleman, mkc at mathdogs.com                                      Windows XP
http://www.mathdogs.com                                               Linux :)