will lack of corporate support kill off Linux?

Jim Herrmann b3d at kc.rr.com
Tue Jul 17 03:43:37 CDT 2001

Jeff,
I didn't mean to offend by using the term "PC Weenies".  I was merely using
that in refererence to my earlier statement that systems programmers ridiculed
the LAN managers.  Today I think everyone realizes that it is a different
story, myself included.  I thought the point of the start of the thread was
"lack of corporate support" being an issue.  I, perhaps wrongly, took that to
mean large corporations.  Anil seemed to be writing from somewhere deep in the
bowels of Sprint, certainly a large mainframe shop.  My post was an attempt to
explain a likely scenario of how corporate (big corporate) support may come
about.  In companies of 15 or 20 users, the resistance is far, far less to
begin using a new technology, such as Linux.  In the large corporate
environment, there is an enormous culture that has to be changed to adopt a new
technology.  My point is that the most likely scenario for this to happen in a
large corporation, is from the mainframe down.  Remember that 70% of the worlds
data is on a mainframe computer, and the companies that use mainframe computers
account for a enormous portion of the world's IT budgets.  The companies with
mainframes also have everything else like LANs networks, web servers, etc.  The
vast bulk of the non-mainframe platforms are Windows based.  Many in this group
hope that will change, myself included, which is why I'm on this list in the
first place.

My apologies if I've offended.  I was trying to make a different point than the
one you saw me making.  My bad.

Peace,
Jim Herrmann

BTW, Many reputable studies have shown that the *total* cost of running
applications on PC servers is considerably higher than mainframe costs, if you
run at a large enough scale to require a mainframe.  That, of course, was
considering Windows servers, which would drive up license costs, as well as
support costs, vs. a Linux server farm.  Don't think I've seen any studies yet
comparing Linux to mainframes.  I'll keep my eye out.