will lack of corporate support kill off Linux?

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Fri Jul 13 17:15:32 CDT 2001

NIH (not invented here) syndrome . . . or the "can't buy it, it must not be
good".   There is just one thing that is still in the back of my mind about
open source, at least GPL'ed things . . .how *do* you sell it and market
it?  If I take Bill's widget maker and modify his code to sell it, I have
to also give it back to Bill and give it out for everyone to use.   Why buy
my version of a widget maker if you can grab the GPL'ed version and go for

I'm very much pro-open source programming . . . but there are still those
little things that make you go "hmm ? ?  ?".   Open source is running on
the model of "everyone will contribute because it's the right thing to do"
without looking at the "everyone won't always work for free" things.

-- Bradley Miller