Mainstream . . . (LONG)

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Jan 31 15:00:04 CST 2001

Brad,

   Nothing wrong with Linux. I never had a problem with 3c509 cards. If
yours aren't working then your configuring them wrong. True some of the
older ones have to be set initially from a dos 3Com driver diskette that
should have come with it. I have 3c509's and 3c590s (Vortex) and they all
are recognized at boot. Secondly, you should never have to mess with
creating /dev paths unless you're doing some serious system hacking, the
second harddrive should be /dev/hdb if ide or /dev/scd1 (this can vary
somewhat, but will never be /dev/drive[anything]). I think you should read
some introductory material on Linux. You are doing a lot of very bad things,
like putting source code for a particular driver in directories with object
libraries. You should try this sometime:
    install sourcecode, designed to be installed in its own directory, in
the Windows
    or Windows system directory and then do a build all in VC++.
    Congratulations you have just deleted the
    Windows operating system!
Linux is a robust, stable OS. Not without bugs, none are - not even MAC.
But, any system is susceptible to abuse. You have definitely done some bad
things, like pulling down all the latest and greatest versions of the
software. You need to check compatibilities first. A partitioning program?
What's wrong with using fdisk? I have a super-powerful, super fast server
running on the internet it looks like this:
   1) Pentium (not II not III) 166MHz
   /w 48 MB RAM
   1) 1.2GB HD
   1) .8GB HD
   1) customized proprietary ATAPI CDROM (Acer system BIOS does some funky
stuff there, but it
	 works as long as you don't try to boot from it)
   1) 3c590 (vortex)
   Apache 1.3.14
   Mandrake 2.2.14 kernel
   Sendmail
   MySql
   PHP 4
   bind 8.9.3 ( I think pulled down and compiled 1/27/00 security update
release)
   NeoMail
Sorry if I seem to be overly critical, I don't mean to be. I am still rather
new at Linux myself and frequently run up against walls trying to do
something. I try not to hack the system too much because like the saying
goes:
   "The great thing about C is you can do almost anything with it. The
terrible thing about C is  you can do just about anything with it". Ditto
that with Linux. You know there are some configuration tools written for
Linux, they are very useful for getting things setup right. Like Linuxconf &
DrakeConf (for Mandrake).

Best Regards,
Brian

Brian Densmore <mailto:DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com>