Best distro to start from scratch again 1 1 1 1

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at askpioneer.com
Wed Jan 31 14:08:06 CST 2001

My brief thoughts on the matter.  If there is a distro you like and have
used often there should be no compelling reason to switch, just for
something new.  Now if you want to switch based on increased security, less
packages to update by hand or something then by all means switch.  On a
server install you are probably not going to install everything (Gnome and
KDE, all editors known to man, Emacs and Xemacs, etc.).

That being said, I reload my goof around machine with new distros all the
time.  One of the features I liked in a recent Mandrake install was the
option to create a floppy with an record of all the install options I had
just used.  In case I hose the box up in short order I can reinstall faster.
Not a lot of stand out reasons I like Mandrake, just the little added
details they include.  YMMV.  Have fun.

Brian