Linux Applications

Monty J. Harder dmonster at juno.com
Tue Jan 23 04:37:29 CST 2001

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 21:14:03 -0600 Bradley Miller
<bradmiller at dslonramp.com> writes:
> Actually, running a mailing list without rules causes more troubles
> than
> with some structure and organization.   Right now it doesn't seem

  I have some experience with this.  I used to run a BBS that was a
member of the U'NI international echo net.  We did have "some structure
and organization", but what was most important was that we had a sense of
community of people willing to police themselves.  Instead of
"moderators", we had "hosts".  I usually considered it a failure on my
part when I had to ask a sysop to discipline a user in one of my
conferences.

> like a
> big deal (because we don't have that much traffic) but without

  Right.  We have informal rules.  Most of them are common sense:

> 1) No profanity
> 2) On topic with Linux related topics
> 3) No blatant spams/solicitations
> 4) No flaming
> 5) No replies to non-topic or flames

  Depending on how you define "on topic", "blatant" and "flaming".  Not
to mention what "is" is. <g>
I might cross the line on 1) sometimes, depending on where you draw it,
and I certainly don't mind anyone else doing it.  We're all adults here,
aren't we?  I don't mind someone adhering to 2) and breaking 3).  If
someone breaks 4), I'll avoid breaking 5) by taking the discussion
off-list.

  Uh-oh.  This whole thread is off-topic, so everyone that participates
in it is breaking 2), 5), or both.
So do we have to ban ourselves from the list for a week?
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.