DSL questions - Heads up Sprint guys....

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Jan 17 19:40:46 CST 2001

Chris,

Let me tell you what I know, as I have been researching this for over
a year.  I don't have this service, but am _very_ interested in it.

My understanding is it works just like any other ADSL thing.  You
get a DSL "modem" which supplies Ethernet through a router that they
supply.  If you look carefully even SWB supplies two different kinds
of ADSL.   There is the 128k/1.5M version for around $50/month, and
there is also a 1.5M/7.5M version available for around $200/month.

The ADSL Sprint ION sells you is of the second type.  I emailed them
about a year ago asking about Linux, and was told that they knew of
no reason that I should not expect it to work properly.  The only
thing you _might_ need Windows for is to run their control panel
application which allows you to configure your phone system.  The
one person I have heard reports from who has been with them since
since February is pleased overall with the service he as received
from Sprint, and reports that he as experienced real downloads of
over 6M.  You can find his posts on http://www.deja.com/home_ps.shtml.
Put "comp.dcom.xdsl" in the Forum box, and "antitroll99 at yahoo.com" in
the author box.

http://public.swbell.net/dedicated/dsl_business.html
http://public.swbell.net/dedicated/dsl_basic.html

HTH,
Hal Duston
H:hald at sound.net
W:hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com

--SNIP--SNIP--SNIP--SNIP--SNIP--SNIP--SNIP--SNIP--SNIP--SNIP--SNIP--