Tux Image and sizing concerns

Kendric Beachey ak at kc.rr.com
Thu Jan 4 01:38:35 CST 2001

it can scale to different sizes:

It is not uncommon for logo images to be rendered in different ways at
different sizes, or in different bit depths, etc.  In each case, the image
can be customized to some extent to optimize it for the case at hand.

In other words, we could have a large image, like the one we're discussing,
with a lot of detail, for use on mouse pads or other places where we have a
lot of room.

And then we could draw/render a new version of it that was specifically made
to be distinguishable at small sizes, in which the branding iron was plainer
and larger compared to Tux.

And we could also do a specialized 16-color version, 256-color version,
2-color version, etc. as needed, with each version tweaked to best utilize
its color map.

For a good example of this sort of approach, see the various different
versions of the KDE icon packages.  There are enough different versions that
you can usually find one that looks best for your resolution and color depth.

There's no need to have one "gospel" image that has to make compromises so
it will look okay in different situations.  The result would be that it would
look no better than only okay in any situation.

--
Kendric Beachey
ak at kc.rr.com