IP Routing Question

Monty J. Harder dmonster at juno.com
Wed Jan 3 20:51:26 CST 2001

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 10:50:25 -0600 mike neuliep <mike at illiana.net> writes:

> network.  They are possibly in violation of rfc2050, but I can't say
> that
> for sure.  Just something to think about.

I can't see anything in RFC 2050 that even begins to address (heh) this
question. What I =do= see, is this:
-------------
Internet address space is distributed according to the following three
goals:
1) Conservation: Fair distribution of globally unique Internet
address space according to the operational needs of the end-users and
Internet Service Providers operating networks using this address space.
Prevention of stockpiling in order to maximize the lifetime of the
Internet address space.
2) Routability: Distribution of globally unique Internet addresses
in a hierarchical manner, permitting the routing scalability of the
addresses. This scalability is necessary to ensure proper operation of
Internet routing, although it must be stressed that routability is in no
way guaranteed with the allocation or assignment of IPv4 addresses.
3) Registration: Provision of a public registry documenting address space
allocation and assignment. This is necessary to ensure uniqueness and to
provide information for Internet trouble shooting at all levels.