The missing hd mystery

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at askpioneer.com
Wed Jan 3 15:55:57 CST 2001

I've worked on a lot of Dells here and usually they have the HDDs set to CS
for cable select.  I personally hate this.  I want to set something to
master or slave and know its going to work.  I don't know if they do this
because of the Phoenix BIOS they are so fond of using or the Western Digital
drives that are very common in their systems.

Anyway, check hardware, BIOS settings, then fdisk or other software.  Its
most likely a hardware problem.  I think this is what caused the
"accidental" wiping of Tom Margrave's hard drive.