IP Routing Question

Monty J. Harder dmonster at juno.com
Wed Jan 3 04:12:32 CST 2001

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:04:52 -0600 (CST) Tony Zafiropoulos
<tonyz at ctitek.com> writes:

> I am no expert...
>
> You want to have traffic from the net get to the Target system?
>
> What is it that you want to get to the target system?  tcp or udp
> applications?

  Both.  As well as anything else IP can carry.  I want to know if I can
use a private IP address hop between two public IP hops and not break
anything.  I'm getting answers that range from "you can('t) do that" to
"it should work, but it's not According to Hoyle".  But I don't yet have
a definitive answer as to =why= it doesn't work, if indeed it doesn't.
Because if nobody can tell me why it won't work, then it should work, and
all those people using /30 subnets to connect two routers can release
those public IP addresses back to extend the life of IPv4 a few more
years without requiring a total rebuild of the infrastructure.
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.