IP Routing Question

Monty J. Harder dmonster at juno.com
Wed Jan 3 00:38:01 CST 2001

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 16:29:40 -0600 mike neuliep <mike at illiana.net> writes:
> Yikes!  OK here is the bottom line on private address blocks.  You
> can use
> private address anywhere inside your organization.  You can not use
> them at
> all on the internet.  Here is why:  many routers on the internet
> have IP filters
> and routing filters that prevent private IP traffic to be passed.

  I know that.  I thought I made quite clear the issue here:

Internet ---> Router 1 ---> Router 4 ---> Target

Everything upstream of Router 1 is cool.  It's the hop between two
routers, on a route =not= advertised to the world, that could cause the
problem.  I am only using the private addresses for that one hop.  Only
Router 1 knows about this route.

The question, which seems still not to be satsifactorily answered, is...
Can traffic addressed to the target machine get there?
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.