Drivers

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Feb 26 17:43:30 CST 2001

> > ...  Does the little "windows" logo on a box mean
> > anything except that it includes Windows Drivers?  Is there
> a special
> > "Microsoft Certified" statement or icon on the box?

> sure that there's
> not much more than licensing fees required to have that
> Windows logo.  A
> little more than money, but not much.
You have to pay and you are "supposed" to test on all supported platforms.
It's just a licensing gimmick for Micro$oft. You are licensing the logo.

> There is the (NT) Hardware Compatibility List, but again that
> just means
> that the manufacturer was able to come up with a
> configuration that worked
> acceptably, not that the driver is generically compatible.
Usually on a highly optimized machine!

> I have this imprecise memory that there are one or two
> companies who are
> doing testing of hardware and drivers under Linux, and
> certifying stuff that
> they find to be stable and integratable (works well with
> other hardware); I
> don't recall who or where they are.

Linux Labs is the first one of them, the others I don't recall. I have seen
a few vendors touting Linux compatibility. It's a real phenomenon ;')>

Best Regards,
Brian

Brian Densmore <mailto:DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com>

Associate