Bugs are bad, they are not job security (Was: spam)

Don Erickson derick at shark.zeni.net
Sat Feb 24 00:15:01 CST 2001

In article <3.0.3.32.20010222143410.01d91920 at mail.dslonramp.com> you write:

>That's why I point to the problems with supporting things -- how do you
>know if it's a Microsoft issue or what?   I had generic NE2000 cards in a
>PC and would get random errors, and other problems under Win98.  I switched
>to a different manufacturer and my problems went away.   Was it Microsoft?
>Was it the drivers?  Or was it the 3rd rate generic card?   Who knows?   I
>put the same cards in Linux and couldn't get a peep out them.  (Likewise
>I've bought name brand ones and had similar issues . . . )

A related point here is that the hardware manufacturers write the drivers
to make their products work with Windows.  I often see the argument, "Bill
Gates is sure good at getting Windows to work with all this different
hardware."  This is looking at the situation completely backwards.

If Microsoft was responsible for writing and supporting the various
hardware drivers, as linux is, there'd be a steaming train wreck on every
desktop.

Oh, and Hello to kclug.

Regards,

-Don