Hosts file

Mike Coleman mkc at mathdogs.com
Sat Feb 17 00:23:54 CST 2001

"Dana" <akadanak at kc.rr.com> writes:
> My ISP is roadrunner and I can't seem to get my hosts and rc.conf files
> right.  For instance I can send mail to anyone except to someone on
> kc.rr.com.

> Would someone that is connected to rr tell me exactly what to put in rc.conf
> for hostname="????" and in the hosts file and if there is somewhere else I
> need to change could you tell me that too.

I'm on RR and don't have this problem.  I'm not sure what the rc.conf file
is--what distribution are you running?

Anyway, the simple, undotted hostname can probably be anything.  You want to
make sure, though, that your system doesn't think it's a something.kc.rr.com
host.  How exactly you do that might depend on the distribution and the mail
client you're using.

--Mike

--
[O]ne of the features of the Internet [...] is that small groups of people can
greatly disturb large organizations.  --Charles C. Mann