Mainstream . . . (LONG)

Walter Zscoundrel at netscape.net
Sun Feb 11 23:11:40 CST 2001

I have to disagree.  If you look back at Microsoft annoncements, you will see that there are more
copies of Red Hat Linux out there now than all the copies of 'doze 3.1 ever sold.  (this includes
all of the licenses of 3.1 that were paid for twice as part of a new computer and then replaced
with OS/2 that included a license of 3.11 and some other pretty 'loose' counting practices!)

There are people writing software for Linux, and more will, once we establish that there is a
market for it.  I know that we can easily download a number of distributions freely, but instead, I
try to buy the package from a local vendor.  It costs me a little more, but the time I save is well
worth the few dollars and it tells 'Sam's Club', 'Barnes and Noble' and 'Office Depot' "Thank You!"
in a way that executives, stockholders and even bean counters can appreciate.

I would bet big dollars that Microsoft or one of their tame dog advocacy groups are sending very
persuasive letters to these companies to convince them of the "error" in selling linux operating
system and application software!

This also sends a slightly different message to others in the business community.  To those that
are tired of the Microsoft's Iron boot of repression, I hope it offers a ray of hope.  Further, to
Microsoft and those that wish to dominate and control the computer industry for their own personal
gain - at MY EXPENSE - it is my offering of an extended middle finger and a juicy raspberry.

(Note:  This is as close as I can get to a truly accurate expression of my feelings without being
charged with a terroristic act!) (grin)

Developers will develop software on platforms that they like, although being able to make a profit
is always an incentive to them!  Many of the best software on the 'doze platform was written
because of a need for the program and not because of a great profit motive.  Most of those have
since been bought out by the monster of Redmond so they could grab more market share.

The big software companies will always be a slave to the balance sheets, but we can get around this
by developing libraries and compiler tools so they can develop an application once and port it
seamlessly across many different platforms.  (I know, I am probably preaching to the choir on this
point!)

Companies will always develop stuff for Linux if there is an opportunity to make money.  This does
not ALWAYS mean going head to head with 5 other software companies to sell software to 20% of a
market on razor thin margins.

Success in business is mostly about market share.  Some companies, espcially those without a vested
interest in the status quo, will make software (and hardware) if they can sell more units to a
smaller market segment at a better profit.

We, as consumers, need to constantly monitor the purverors of FUD (MUD???) and dispute their
misleading announcements with facts and truth to all the will listen.

We also need to vote with our dollars to let them know that 'thars gold in them thar' (linux)
hills!' and the rush will be on!

IOCON at aol.com wrote:

> I agree with Mike, to some extent. Developers will develop Software for the OS that has the most
users, where they can make the most $$...To that extend Linux will never be mainstream. But for
embedded systems development Linux may be the place to go...