re-inventing the wheel........

Tony Hammitt tony at speedscript.com
Wed Feb 7 19:29:22 CST 2001

They are actually programs that are running, I believe that the companies
just run the programs and take screenshots.  You don't necessarily need
to be running an install.  Things like RedHat's netcfg are just console
programs that run during the installation.

Granted, you have to probably declaw the programs if you're just running
them for screen captures.  It wouldn't be good to have them actually
installing...  This way of doing things seems to be one of those
'theoretically possible but impractical' methods, but that's probably what
the companies do.

Then again, you could always just go buy a commercial copy of the OS
use the screenshots in the books.  Sure, technically it's illegal but you
aren't trying to republish their work as your own.  It's not plagarism if
you quote your sources...

Then again, a friend of mine just took actual pictures of the screen,
just set the shutter speed to a couple of seconds and use a tripod, you
won't see any artifacts from the screen flickering.

Then again, Brian's suggestion of installing via VMware or some such
will probably work easiest.

Later,

        Tony