Dumb Question

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Tue Feb 6 21:12:00 CST 2001

At 12:47 PM 2/6/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Beyond Bytes (aka After Bytes) in Independence on 17331 40 HWY, between
>Lee's Summit Rd. and 291 HWY.  One of the older guys in there is a jerk if
>you mention Linux (I stopped just short of getting in an argument w/ him
>about the availability of support), but they have used 3com NICs for $5.  He
>didn't however, have the fan that I needed to fix a power supply and thought
>I was crazy for trying to fix such a thing.  Next time I go in I'm just
>going to tell the guy that the customer is always right or something like
>that.
>Brian Kelsay

Ah yes -- that's my haunt for the $5 cards.   The only downfall with some
of the cards, is they are (or were) configured for EISA.   I went through a
few of those when I was configuring the router here the year before last.
(That's scary -- that's been up well over a year . . . )  I couldn't figure
out what was up until I plugged the card into a newer (non-486 PC) and ran
the 3Com dos based utilities.   The only solution to the EISA thing was to
put it into another EISA PC and unconfigure it with the software, or send
it to 3Com to fix it for $5.   It was WAY cheaper just to drive back and
forth with a handful of NIC cards.    They looked at my like I had twelve
heads when I told them the story and what it was . . . and I even had the
printout from the web site.

Eh -- it's still a good source for stuf.  I've got a $25 monitor that was
an old PS2 monitor that was labeled B/W but ended up being color.  It's
small -- like 13 inches maybe???   But for the money it's a great little
monitor to monitor stuff with.  (Other boxes, etc....)

-- Bradley Miller