ISPs

phase at booyaka.com phase at booyaka.com
Fri Feb 2 19:03:28 CST 2001

> Since we're talkin about ISP'S, I use Road Runner. has nyone had  problems
> with RR? I lose connectivity alot! sometimes for just a few seconds,
> sometimes for hours.

i've got one of the 3COM "tailfin" cable modems.  it worked fine when i
had it connected to my primary machine (via a linksys 10/100 card).
but when i connected it to an old 486SX i set up as a firewall/
masquerading box, it started giving me trouble.

i originally set the firewall up with a couple of NE2000 clones. it
would work fine for a while, but the outside interface would freeze up
once a day or so.  restarting the interface didn't fix the problem, nor
did rebooting the machine.  each time it happened, i had to reset the
cable modem by unplugging its power adaptor for a second.

fortunately, my brother had a pair of 3COM 3C509s laying around, so i
popped those in last week and it's been fine ever since.  moral of the
story: if you have a 3COM tailfin modem connected to an NE2K clone,
and it's giving you problems, ask your brother for a 3C509 :-)

phase