Video capture?

Daryl dfallin at kc.rr.com
Sat Dec 29 22:07:03 CST 2001

Tony -

As a matter of fact, I just got my video Capture Card ( Hauppage winTV )
working this week.  It is pretty awesome stuff.  It took me some time to
get it going but one of the documents that helped me the most was the
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/VCR-HOWTO-3.html document.

I had the video capture card laying around and then I read that Tivo
actually is using Linux.  So now I have my computer setup so that I can
record anything off the tv using vcr-1.09.  I record in DivX format and
then use xine 0.9.7 to view them.

I am using Mandrake 8.1 which I might add automatically detected the video
capture card and setup up everything perfectly.  Mandrake installed Xawtv
and the video device which worked without me having to do anything.  I was
very impressed with this because I had jacked around with this video
capture card in windows for a few weeks about 3 or 4 months ago and had
given up.  Thank the gods that I happened across a tivo article on
slashdot which sparked my interest in getting my video capture card to
work in Linux.  Mandrakes install is second to none as far as I can tell.
Anyway..  no sense in preaching to the choir.

Video capture is working great for me.  :)

Let me know if you have any questions on my setup.

later...

Daryl