file server for home

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Sat Dec 29 21:42:28 CST 2001

I am running a 66mhz 486sx made by Gateway about 10 years ago.  It has
48mb ram and a 20gb hdd and CD-rom.

I don't use it for much, mostly online backups and a test platform for
web server applications - and testing new software/OS installs before I
load it on my the machine I use for day-to-day stuff.

I got it from a friend for free and added the memory, HD and CD-rom.

My file serving needs are small so it works very well.

All of the advice I have seen so far has been pretty good, but since you
didn't really specify the intended function, it is pretty tough to make
accurate suggestions.

For instance, servicing video or audio files would require a different
setup than if you just want to store email packets for 3 or 4 email
accounts for your family.