@Home and DHCP

KUCHARSKI, DAVID R. dave at iemco.com
Wed Dec 19 21:42:58 CST 2001

My  fix for the comcast at home dhcp situation was to use a p75 computer
that I found in the trash, add two $5 network cards and a downloaded
copy of COYOTE LINUX and build a $10.00 router/firewall.  eth0 is set to
the outside connection from comcast with their info and DHCP enabled and
eth1 is set for an internal network where all of the boxes in the house
have fixed IP.The network cards and switches inside the house were
10/100 but for the firewall/router all you need is a pair of old 10 mb/s
cards because that is what the modem puts out . The COYOTE LINUX
download had a really easy set up.It functions well and and fits on a
floppy, so concievably you could get any old box even one with the HD
removed.  Only thing is that COMCAST made me turn off the telnet server,
so I had to hook up a monitor and keyboard for setting up and changing
anything. But it did take them a month or so to catch the telnet
serever,so you could get it set up headless and then turn off the login
features.

it was a cheap easy fix! plus it gives me six places within the house
that have a decent internet connection!