30 GB HD on P 133MHz

jose sanchez j_r_sanchez at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 20:54:36 CST 2001

Guys:

I have solved the problem. After two days of
troubleshooting, researching, etc... Here's how I
solved the problem:
When I set the jumpers to Master Device, the system
hanged during boot. According to the documentation
that came with the HD, I had to set two jumpers (j50 &
j46). This was supposed to work. It never did. This
configuration made Linux to think that there was only
8.4G.

But, since linux doesn't use the BIOS to boot, I set
the jumpers back to it's original settings. Set the
BIOS to user define NOT auto (Very Important!) with
the following values: 1024 cyl, 16 h, 63 sec. This
time the system didn't hang. I proceeded with RH
installation. This time the entire 30GB existed.
Partitioned the HD and installed RH 6.2 smoothly.

This was kind of weird but it worked.

I would like to thanks everyone who responded to the
email.

Thanx... Linux Rocks!