ease of use debate

Edgar Allen era at sky.net
Wed Dec 5 22:13:19 CST 2001

>Please so not take it personally, because it is not meant that way, but I
>detect (and I am not refering to anyone in particular, but to a general
>feeling) a shade of the old "I was into that band (OS, app, resturant,
>whatever) before it got popular." attitude.  I think some linux users DON'T
>want it to become more popular because it will no longer be "cool".  Any
>comments?

Nobody is trying to hold you back Eric.  The only one who knows what is
important for you to learn is you.  We cannot point you to a path which will
minimize your effort and maximize your speed of learning what you need to
know.

It is the same for the millions who will follow you.  You will not be able to
spoon feed them and they will complain how difficult the path is no matter
what you do.

All we can do is answer questions occasionally and try to make mistakes less
lethal.  But this is like fire, useful but dangerous if you ignore warnings.
There is no "list of everthing needing warnings" and never will be.

There is no way to obtain instant knowledge of everything you will eventually
need to know.  Common citizens do not attempt to put out large fires or do
major repairs on any form of technology.  We have "appliance operators" and
professionals in every technology more advanced than flint knives why do you
think computers should be different ?