EULAs (Was: Re: XP Performance)

Richard Edelman edelman at speedscript.com
Wed Dec 5 15:36:16 CST 2001

A while back I found somewhere on the Kansas government website a law/statute
regarding End User Licensing Agreements. Basically, the law states that if
before the transaction (exchange of money) takes place, you cannot see all
the licensing agreements/contracts, a sale has taken place. As such, any EULA
is void, and you can do whatever you wish with the software; it's yours.
However, if you are able to see all the agreements/contracts, regardless of
if you read them or not, a sale has not taken place; you are licensing the
software and are bound by the EULA.

Now, being as most software with EULAs are of the click-through type, that
software is yours and the EULA carries no weight at all. I was quite
surprised when I saw this law, but I have a feeling many companies don't know
about it at all, nor do they entirely care.

Of course, IANAL.

Rich