Meeting problem

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Dec 4 15:51:18 CST 2001

Brian Densmore [mailto:DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com] wrote:

> Well, I had to find Vatterott on the map. It is definitely
> out of the way for me, but I'm ok with it. Certainly less
> out of the way than the West Branch Library. But I think
> we already have the room reserved for the next meeting.
> However, it might be nice in the future.
>
> Brian
>
> Chris Midkiff [mailto:chris at datacaptech.com] wrote:
> >
> > Vatterott is _way_ out of the way for most of us, including
> > me.  OTOH, Internet Access would sure be great at the
> > meetings.
> >
> > What does everyone think??
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > Aaron [mailto:aaron at aarons.net] wrote:
> >
> > > The group is more than welcome to use the Auditorium at
> > > Vatterott College. There is Internet access (via 2 T1's)
> > > as well as computers if needed (a couple at least).  I've
> > > already cleared it with the powers that be.  Let me know
> > > if you want to use it.
> > >
> > > Aaron
> > >
> > > P.S.  If you met here I could skip out of class and attend. :)

and

> Jonathan Hutchins [mailto:hutchins at opus1.com] wrote:
>
> > Chris Midkiff [mailto:chris at datacaptech.com] wrote:
> >
> > Vatterott is _way_ out of the way for most of us ...
>
> Then again, there are a lot of us who don't come because
> downtown deadville is way out of the way...
>
> Where I live, everything's inconvenient, so I don't much
> care, but I thought I'd point it out.

And therein lies the difficulty.  _Every_ place is out of the
way for someone.  One way that is sometimes proposed to deal
with this is to have a rotating meeting location.  The biggest
problem with this is people would have difficulty remembering
_where_ the meeting is being held this time.  One of the important
issues to running a successful LUG is to _always_ have the meeting
in the _same_ location.  That way there is one less barrier to
attendance.  I know that there are still people who are forgetting
_when_ the meeting is being held even though we are on a regular
schedule, so trying to remember _where_ the meeting is being held
_would_ be an issue.  As far as the current location goes, we
_could_ change it I suppose, but I certainly would be _strongly_
against having the meeting move around town from month to month.
I don't want to have members showing up at the wrong location
on the wrong night.  That would be a quick way to kill the group.

As far as the geographical spread of the membership who attend
meetings, I know of people who live in the following locations:

Lawrence
Belton
Raytown
Johnson County
Independence
KCK
North of the river

So, finding a location that is conviently located to all is
not really possible.

Just IMHO,
Hal Duston