New twist on drive copy - Win - Win using Linux to stage?

The Hoelschers mohoel at telocity.com
Fri Aug 31 02:07:02 CDT 2001

Got another question.  Comes from being cheap, I guess.

Anyway, this is for my daughter's laptop....  Here's my problem.  I have
a 3 gig drive (empty) to replace a 1.3 gig drive (working Win98 load),
but like I say, they are for a laptop, and I only have one adapter to
plug a laptop drive into a desktop IDE cable.

However, I've got a nice, big disk in my Dual Boot Linux/Win98 box, so I
was thinking about;

1. Use available space on my desktop drive (/dev/hda)
  {a directory in the FAT32 partition housing Windows?
  {a directory under Linux ext2?
  {make a seperate partition and format for Dos?
2. Copy the 1.3 gig laptop drive to this space
  {which method would be best for Windows data? DD, TAR, CPIO?
3. Swap the 1.3 for the 3.0
4. Copy that space to the 3.0 gig drive

Any chance in the world to do this and have the 3 gig drive come out as
a bootable Windows 98 drive?

Thanks for any help....
Chris.

--
Check it out!  Special rates with Qwest!  And No Minimum!
http://qwesteferral.com/r.jsp?a=mH.n.Je1IMRfVU541Lz2HA$$&x