No subject

Monty Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Sat Aug 25 23:43:08 CDT 2001

8/25/01 3:40:51 PM, "Franklin, Joel" <JDFranklin at moheck.com> wrote:

>>One thing you might want to remember when defending yourself: Shoot to
>>Kill.
>This is bad advice. Someone is going to ask you what you were trying to do
>when you violated that poor dead criminal's civil rights, and you'll have to
>say that you wanted to kill a man; this doesn't sound good. So never try to

  You don't admit to it, but when I used to manage an arcade and had off-duty KCK cops work
security weekend evenings, one of
them told me that cops always shoot to kill.  There are several very good reasons to do this:

  1.  Dead perps can't tell their side of the story, so yours is accepted by default.
  2.  If you shoot to wound someone and miss, they can still return fire and kill you.  If you fire
at center of mass and
miss, you're still likely to hit =something= that might at least mess up his aim.
  3.  If you think it's OK to shoot to wound someone that you are =not= justified in killing, and
you end up killing them,
you're in Deep DooDoo. - You don't fire a gun at =anything= you don't intend to kill.
  4.  If you do turn out to be unjustified, a wrongful death judgement costs you less money than
the medical expenses of
your victim for 40 years on The Machine That Goes Ping.

  The trick is to =say= that you were just trying to stop him.  And once he falls face down, you'd
best not pump a half-dozen
more rounds into his back -- that doesn't look good.