Switch-hub?

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at home.com
Fri Aug 24 17:58:23 CDT 2001

When you get beyond 10-15 PCs connected via hubs or a certain volume of
traffic that causes an unacceptable network slow-down or number of
collisions, then a switch is necessary.   As your network grows you will
eventually need or want a switch.   You may want to preempt that need by
buying a switch.   For example you used to need a firewall and a
separate hub to connect several home PCs to a DSL or cable line, then a
combo firewall/hub came out to fill the need and lower the cost of
multiple devices.  Now there are combo firewall/switches that increase
performance of the network.   It's up to your needs, wants and budget as
always to determine what you get.
I already had a hub before I new better or could afford a switch (they
used to be quite a bit more) and I used an old computer to be a Linux
router when I got broadband.

Brian Kelsay