Switch-hub?

Mike Coleman mkc at mathdogs.com
Fri Aug 24 16:25:57 CDT 2001

Sam Miller <svekan at mindspring.com> writes:
> Could someone tell me the advantages of either a hub or a switch for a
> small home network?

Don't forget the disadvantages.  Principally, with a switch I believe you
normally can't easily sniff traffic between two ports from a third port.  (I'm
sure more advanced switches probably allow you to configure this, but do the
cheap ones?)  This would be a major minus if you're trying to do any kind of
network development, and pretty inconvenient if you ever have to diagnose
network problems.

Personally I think it'd be the rare household that would notice any difference
between a hub and a switch.

--Mike

Mike Coleman, mkc at mathdogs.com
http://www.mathdogs.com