Thanks RE: Weird Video

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Aug 21 13:21:36 CDT 2001

First off, thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Well, my little video problem is fixed. Don't ask me how, 'cause I don't
know. But here is what I did.

1. Optimized the MB (now at least it runs really fast).
   (no impact on XWindows)
2.I started the Mandrake Control Center,
  chose the XWindows configuration,
  changed the video card to generic VGA
       (this added an entry for Generic VGA to the XF86Config),
  tested the setting (it came back and said no valid screens found),
  ok'ed it,
  it then reset the setting to Sis6326.
  I then selected 16 bit color rather than 24 bit color,
  ok'ed it,
  restarted X11.
Problem fixed.

Ok now here's the clincher, are you ready for this ...
The XWindows is now running in 24 bit color perfectly.
I have looked at the XF86Config file and it shows the default as Sis6326 24
bit color 1024x768.
Also I couldn't find any answers in the log files.
I wish I had looked at the XF86Config file before, because it also lists
these settings,
"sw_cursor" and "no_accel".
I am going to have to do some research on this, I don't like problems that
fix themselves!

Totally perplexed,
Brian