Dual NICs Problems

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Mon Aug 20 18:59:00 CDT 2001

having a dual-channel to the server to increase load
> capacity doesn't sound bad. One other thing I was thinking of doing was
maybe using this box as a router.
> So, my problem can be resolved by assigning the cards different subnets,
is this right?

Yes, it then becomes the router between the two subnets if you turn on IP
Forwarding.  You would then configure your clients to the two different
subnets, even if you leave them on the same physical net.

What is usually done is the router will connect between your network and
some sort of remote connection to other sites or the internet.  You can also
set it up to act as a firewall.

> How can you have multiple connections to the same subnet.

That one I'm not sure of, but I know it's done.

(Hey, see if you can switch of Rich Text Format for your KCLUG posts too...)