Penguin Enrolls in U.S. Schools

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Mon Aug 20 15:57:29 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cox, Michael" <michael.cox at honeywell.com>

> Wired: Penguin Enrolls in U.S. Schools
> http://www.wired.com/news/school/0,1383,45862,00.html

"In addition, Linux runs on 486s and Pentium 75s -- fairly ancient machines
by today's standards -- which are incapable of running the latest Windows
environments."

This kind of statement bugs me.  You're not going to get the latest KDE to
run on these either - at least not at a usable speed.  You could get more
primitive Xwindows environments to run, but you could also run OS/2 or
Windows 3.1.  You could run a console based system, but you could also run
DOS - there's a lot of good software for DOS.

Has anybody tried running "win4lin" on an 486 grade machine?

Otherwise a very good, supportive article.  I'll be using some of the links
and working to learn a linux-for-schools type desktop for some kids I know.