Rack PC's [Was: Re: Small PC that runs Linux?]

P.M. pert at tas-kc.com
Tue Aug 14 13:15:28 CDT 2001

Check out clearcube.com they have a cool concept..... Imagine less than
40 watts at a station including monitor. In the wiring closet the
overall wattage is less than individual PC's even the compact
ones--probably about the same as those thin clients. They say they run
about $1200 a seat though. But he was talking like it was a p III  866
Mhz. And that is what you get for new, clean, secure, small, and lower
heat/electrical (I doubt they are using many mobile components).

Remember these are rack mount PC's not solely servers. They have a little black
box that plugs into standard cat 5 at the users station where you plug
in the video, audio, keyboard, mouse, or USB. This can be upto 200
meters from the cpu/main board. They claim to run windows 2000 pro, nt
4, 98, me, and Linux--its just a standard pc.