XFree86 Question

Edgar Allen era at sky.net
Wed May 31 17:33:40 CDT 2000

Gene  E. Dascher writes:
>commands, but when I boot my RH6.1 system up and it gets to 'Starting xfs',
>it just sits there.  I finally had to enter the Interactive boot mode and
>answer NO to 'Start xfs?'.  I looked at the man pages, both on the system

    You might try 'strace /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start' which should eventually
    get to the hang.

    That will show you the last few system calls and perhaps we can figure
    out what it is trying to do at the hang point.

    Other virtual consoles should be operational so you should be able to
    switch over and kill the hung process if it ignores ^C.

>and on the XFree86.org website, but they did not help much at all.  Is there
>any need for me to be using xfs at all anyway?

The current direction seems to be toward a font server.  To handle
TrueType and Type1 fonts, they need to be scaled and then converted to
bitmaps for X.

The XFree86 people seem to be moving toward more modular software.
Always good for reliability and problem diagnosing.