Commerce Bank (netscape's Java)

steve doerr sdoerr at swbell.net
Wed May 17 18:49:43 CDT 2000

Pat wrote:

> I have heard of a lot of problems with NS java tell it to use Linux java
> and it works better.

I don't know how you change this, but Netscape's java is in an archive file
called java40.jar.  You can look at what's there by copying and unpacking
it in a directory where you don't mind creating all the subdirectories.
Don't do this where you find it.

The command is jar xf java40.jar (jar cf to build one), just like the tar
command, except it uses  pkzip/pkunzip compression.  In theory, you can
create them w/ pkzip by changing the extension, but I've heard it can mess
up capitalization of files and such.

I built a jar file for the Kontor app, but it's on the server, not the
client.  I think java/Netscape is particular about the locations of the
classes or Netscape won't be able to find any of them to execute the java.
I guess you could build your own java40.jar w/ the linux Java classes, but
there are hundreds of files in 20+ subdirectories archived in the
original.  I'm pretty sure you'd have to have all the same file names in
the same places for it to work.  If anyone knows I'm wrong, please correct
me.

I have far more trouble in Netscape w/ javascript than java, anyway.  Maybe
it's because I run into it more.

Anyway, just an FYI for anyone who cares or is curious.