Skeleton in Linux closet?

Dana akadanak at kc.rr.com
Wed Mar 22 01:19:23 CST 2000

The author of this article has no understanding of the
open source movement or of linux.

One small example.
>Consider these figures on '99 server market share
>from International Data Corporation:

>Windows NT held steady at 38.1%
>NetWare continued its decline to 19.4%
>Unix systems dropped slightly to 15.3%
>Linux surged to No. 2 with 24.6%

>But it's a different story in revenues:
>Unix leads with about 52%
>Windows NT is next at 29%
>NetWare has 18%
>Linux comes in at less than 1%

Well, DUH!  An operating system that is mostly
free doesn't generate a lot of revenues in sales but
the fact that has captured 24.6% of the server
market speaks volumes about how good it is..

Dana

If we just worry about the big picture, we are powerless.
So my secret is to start right away doing whatever little
work I can do. I try to give joy to one person in the
morning, and remove the suffering of one person in the
afternoon. . . . That is the secret. Start right now.
-- Sister Chän Khöng