Driver, HSP and "plug and play" hell

Mike McVey mdmcvey at att.net
Sat Mar 18 23:58:59 CST 2000

Dear KCLUG,

I have a "plug and play" SB 16  ISA sound card, USR 28.8 hardware
(NOT "win") internal modem and NEC Super Script 860 printer--all of
which I need to get talking to Linux.

The modem will be easy, I hope. However, I had to fiddle like crazy
with the thing to get Win 98 to recognize it, and who really knows
what IRQ and address this thing is using. All I know is once I
disabled the COM1 and COM2 serial ports in Windows device manager and
pulled off all the jumpers it worked. When I put jumpers on it, so
that Linux can use it, that match the address and IRQ (COM4)  that
Windows sees it as, the thing doesn't work in Windows, but is in
conflict. I hate plug and play now! What should I do?

Now for the sound card. I bet I will be in for a major struggle and
may be better off getting rid of the loser for a new 10 dollar PCI
unit. What do you think?

Now for the most perturbing thing of all:  I didn't just discover I
have cancer, but something almost as bad:  My NEC Super Script 860
laser printer is a "Winprinter." I had always thought that because it
had its own separate microprocessor and memory (5 MB), it wasn't, but
alas the manual says it uses "host based processing" as if this were
a feature, but I know better. It is a huge defect and I was ripped
off. For that and some other reasons, like the fact that it jams
easily and is flimsy, I will never buy anything but an HP, ever
again!  Does the Linux community or do manufacturers make drivers for
Linux for any of these sorry HSP devices (winprinters and winmodems?)

Now for a bit of soapboxing: I wish host shared processing
peripherals were banished from the face of the earth. When
manufacturers are too cheap to put the extra 5 dollars of chips in a
modem or printer to make it fully standalone and OS portable, it
reveals their contempt for the consumer and collusion with the Wintel
monopoly. I have always noticed that it can be hard to tell from the
box if a modem is CPU killing, windows crashing piece of HSP junk or
not--I guess that is the same with other devices too.

Thanks for any insight.

Mike