Samba -- the urge hits me again

Michael Procter procter at socket.net
Thu Mar 16 21:33:19 CST 2000

> > ugh!)  I decided to go head to head with Samba again.  I downloaded the
> > latest and greatest for my Red Hat 6.1 box and decided to see if I could
> > make a go of it.  I can see the box on my Windows Explorer in Win NT
> 4.0 --
> > I just can't seem to connect properly.   I've stood on my head and tried
> > just about everything short of wacking the encrypted passwords on my NT
> > box.  I'd rather not do that.   Could anyone offer me any hints as to
> what
> > I'm doing wrong?

I don't think it's the encrypted passwords problem assuming you've
enabled encrypted passwords in Samba, used smbpasswd, etc...  Older
versions of Win95 used plaintext passwords, which can force you to
disable encryption, but I think NT always encrypts.  I just did get
samba on RH 6.1 talking to Windows 95 with encryption around here
without much of a hitch, though there are a lot of little things to
tweak I guess.  Perhaps if you described what you've done, what's in
smb.conf, what parts of the checklist you've tried, etc..., we could
come up with the answer....