Small Server/Spare gear...(SB Live Value)

steve doerr sdoerr at qni.com
Thu Mar 16 00:59:22 CST 2000

Chad LaFarge wrote:

> I'll move the Equisonic Sound card from my wife's current PC into the new
> one.  I'll move the Sound Blaster Live Value from the new one into my 1/2
> Linux box (will this work in Linux?) and the Turtle Beach Montego (consider
> it a Dell pull) will be available.

I don't know about the SB Live Value, or whether this is ISA or PCI card, but
running a ISA SB AWE16/32/64 on Linux is a complicated process.  You have to
set it up in the kernel as a module(s), initialize it with isapnp, and then
load the drivers after the kernel loads (or a couple of other hacks).  I could
never get sound with my AWE64 until I finally upgraded from 2.2.0 to the 2.2.14
kernel.  Before kernel 2.2.x I think you have to apply a kernel patch.
Creative Labs wouldn't release hardware specs to the guys working on the SB
AWE64 driver and they really had to force it in. I would definitely do some
searching on this card (or any recent Creative product) before trying it on
Linux.

I think you'll be okay if it's PCI and probably anything other than the AWE
series, but it can't hurt to look into it.  If I'm wrong about your particular
card (I don't want to scare you)--- never mind.  I hope this helps!

Steve