NFS

Sam Clippinger samc at silence.org
Wed Mar 15 16:00:31 CST 2000

When last we left our heroes, phase at booyaka.com had just said:
> i thought this might have something to do with my recent
> kernel configuration experiments, but i checked the
> configuration for my running kernel and it appears that
> NFS support is in there.  i even tried booting the stock
> redhat 6.1 kernel to no avail.  neither the NFS-HOWTO
> nor the knfsd documentaion were very helpful, so i guess
> i'm hoping someone understands the error and is willing
> to help me fix it.  thanks in advance.

Good luck -- if you get this working, please post a message explaining how.
I've tried to get knfsd to work several times since it was first introduced,
with no success.  If you haven't already, make sure that portmapper is running,
make sure that the locking service is running (rpc.lockd?) and make sure you've
applied all of the latest knfsd patches to your kernel before you compiled.  I
have it on good authority that the knfsd stuff can be _made_ to work, but
apparently my particular case is not possible yet (NFS-booting diskless
workstations from a central server).

I finally gave up on it and went back to Olaf Kirch's nfs-server package.  I'll
try knfsd again when 2.4 comes out in a couple of years. ;)

                                -sam

 Sam Clippinger               For PGP public key (KEY ID: 431C5529), see
samc at silence.org          http://www.micro.com/~samc or http://pgp.ai.mit.edu
=============randomly selected quote===no relevance to the above=============
	"There's never been a simpler time.  Never.  In all of human
history, everything has always been as complex as it is now.  The people
change.  The technology changes.  But the...forces at work, whatever it
is that drives us to _be_ human, that's what's always the same."
                                  - Garfield Reeves-Stevens, "Federation"