New Guy...

Jeffrey Watts watts at jayhawks.net
Mon Mar 13 05:41:06 CST 2000

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Randy Rathbun wrote:

> I totally agree that things have a way to go, but you should have seen
> things around 1995 when I installed Linux for the first time. It was
> horrid. Now we get to play Tetris while the system installs! It will
> get there. Gonna take a bit, but it will get there.

All a matter of perspective...  Back in '95, Linux was a godsend for us
compsci students...  We were stuck between two bad choices:  ugly, barren
commercial Unix and ugly, barren Microsoft Windows.  Neither had good
development tools.  Neither worked well on low-end PCs.

Remember, a good UI isn't everything, and Linux wasn't written for users -
it was written for geeks.  My server doesn't have a GUI, and never will --
doesn't need it.  I find that a UI is nice for some things, but it will
never be as powerful as the command line.

J.

| Jeffrey Watts                     |
| Systems Programmer         | "History is the version of past events |
| Network Systems Management |  that people have decided to agree     |
| Sprint Communications      |  on."                                  |
o----------------------------|  -- Napoleon Bonaparte, "Maxims"       |