New Guy...

Dustin J. Decker dustind at zandura.net
Mon Mar 13 00:15:08 CST 2000

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Randy Rathbun wrote:
> First, remember that as much as all of us would like, Linux is not the be all
> end all OS. That is why LILO is there for dual booting. There are just some
> things that I need that are only on Windows (this is changing). So don't feel
> bad about using MS Windows! :)
I would agree with you - but I cannot.  The simple reasoning is thus:
If it were just a matter of Linux not having the install base and critical
mass that Windows does, my mouth would be closed.  But one cannot possibly
ignore the monopolistic practices of Bill Gates and company.  Sure, there
are more applications for Windows.  Sure there is what often "appears" to
be more support.  But these reasons alone are not enough.

There will continue to be proprietary systems in the future.  Some will
radiate from Redmond, others will not.  They will all have their own best
interests at heart - with little or no concern for end user satisfaction.
Greed is good for some things, but should never be tolerated for it's own
sake.  There need be a higher purpose to fill the sails of such systems,
or they will eventually run aground, leaving their own users stranded
along with them.

Dustin