Thanks for the help

lowell lowell at kc.rr.com
Sun Mar 12 05:33:20 CST 2000

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Mike McVey wrote:

 the ideal "accelerated learning path" for mastering the fundamentals
> of using and administering this OS? Typical a lone ranger in using my
> computer, I suddenly feel the need for the company of geeks and
> gurus.

Don't know exactly where you stand in the "learning path". Do you know
about "man pages"? At the command prompt, type "man (command you want to
know about)"(omit parentheses)and the manual page will appear, telling you
many things.Sometimes they are a little succinct and terse, other times less so.
	There are many books out there for the linux neophyte; two
that are frequently mentioned are "Running Linux" and "Linux in a Nutshell",
both published by O'Reilly and available at most nat'l chain bookstores.
	If you were working in an xterm window when your system hung,you
might try this:in the upper-right corner of that window is a square with a
bar in it. If you click on it, it will offer you a menu on which you will find
"destroy",and that's just what it'll do to the offending process (we hope).
That's done the trick for me, anyway.

Hope this helps.

Lowell