Thanks for the help

Mike McVey mdmcvey at att.net
Sun Mar 12 02:29:34 CST 2000

Thanks to everyone for the little bits of advice I have followed that
now have me up and running with Linux.

1.) So far I am liking Mandrake 6.1--with my good harddisk and a bit
of fiddling with Disk Druid, it was a breeze. I hope I made a good
choice:   80 MB of swap space;  700 MB of root space; 600 MB of user
space. (The rest is for Windows.)

Now, I am going to have to get my printer (a NEC SuperScript 860)
running, PPP going and configured to connect to ATT Worldnet, an
internal modem working which is liable to conflict with the system's
3 other serial ports, and of course basic productivity software like
imaging, office suite, email client, etc, in place.

Having KDE on my desktop, I now realize why Linux may not *quite* be
ready for the mainstream:  It does NOT conceal its feature rich
complexity: no dummy lights and idiot "wizards" (note the irony):
just lots of tools that reveal exactly what the heck is going on
under the hood. I suppose learning to use this operating system could
actually teach me some genuine computer science--maybe I'll get over
my Windows miseducation. For the first time, I feel I have an OS that
I can actually believe is REALLY doing what it says it is DOING, and
not something else. Actually, after years of "consumer grade"
computing, I feel like I am in the cockpit of a Boeing 747 or
something with Linux: thrilled with the "power" of such a big
dashboard but also a bit overwhelmed with it.

However, as is my compulsion, I did try to crash it, and it appears I
DID. I opened files and folders like crazy and then the thing locked
up--only the mouse pointer would move--four hours later the thing was
still frozen. No idea how to recover from a frozen system. At least I
had to put effort into crashing it, while in Windows I only have to
blink.

Ok, enough with bottom of the learning curve babble. What would be
the ideal "accelerated learning path" for mastering the fundamentals
of using and administering this OS? Typical a lone ranger in using my
computer, I suddenly feel the need for the company of geeks and
gurus.

Thanks for any help from y'all!

Mike