Cable Modem and DSL - help!

Pat Miller pert at tas-kc.com
Mon Jan 31 20:03:22 CST 2000

One thing to be aware of is weather the modem is a route or bridge.

Router--Just plug in your network (masquerade to get internet services)
Bridge--You will need a second NIC (or switch/router) to keep your lan
traffic off the internet segment (think of a 10 meg segment bridging
over a 128K uplink on DSL) or 10 neighbors bridging a total of 100 megs
onto the cable segment

New cable modems block all non-public traffic (after early providers
networks died)

To make the DSL profitable the DSL modems are just bridges