Fun Installation Project, Linux 1- Win-0

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Sun Jan 30 16:51:27 CST 2000

I forgot to relay my experience with a install on a friend's computer.  He
was wanting to upgrade (??) from Win95 to Win98.   We spent about 6 hours
on that little episode.  In the middle of changing the PC over, I decided
to load RedHat 6.1 -- just for grins and to blow away his Win95 that Win98
CD was not pleased with.  (It kept insisting that we buy an upgrade, which
he had already tried and it didn't work, so it was refusing to install with
Win95.)   We had RH6.1 up and running in like 20 minutes . . . however long
it takes to install on a 233Mhz machine.   He liked  it -- would have even
decided to use it for a while but we were unsure of his scanner and printer
drivers . . . I'm not that big of a Linux guru to say "here, do this and
that and you'll be ready to roll".   After we blew away that install (which
can be tricky on RH if you don't see that little itsy-bitsy partition icon
on the setup screen) we installed Win98 twice before we got it to run
right.   Grrrrr~~~!!!!   So about 3:00 AM in the morning my friend finally
had a working (??) PC on Win 98.   I also left him with a DemoLinux CD.
He loved Gimp and the little logo maker in it -- very slick to show-off.
He wants Photoshop really bad, but doesn't want to fork over the money.
Next up I'll have to probably partition his drive up to let him multi-boot
into Linux.  I wasn't about to try it that night with the Win98 fiasco's we
had.

-- Bradley Miller