Web site development

Robert Berg robert at kclinux.com
Thu Jan 20 13:32:31 CST 2000

I wasn't trying to create a debate over who can design a better site.
So, to keep this thread going in a positive direction I guess I'll
just withdraw my offer.  I guess I didn't have much to offer anyway...

Incidentally, I completely understand the whole pet peeve thing.
Infact, its a pet peeve of mine when people say... "I hate to do
_blank_" and then go ahead and do _blank_ anyway.  Good luck with the
design... if I can help in any way let me know.

-Robert
http://www.kclinux.com

On 1/17/00, 12:50:42 AM, Chris Midkiff <cmidkiff at kc.rr.com> wrote
regarding Re: kclug - Web site development:

> Glad to have your input on the site design.  I wish I had seen your
original
> post (must have slipped by).  It would have saved me some typing.  I
hate
> to critique in public, but. (uh oh, here it comes...)

> I guess I'm from the old school, but I believe in not using pictures
where
> text will do.  Use bandwidth carefully.   I guess most people have 56k
> connections, (heck, I have a cable modem myself), but I think the
principal
> still applies. Don't get me wrong,  I think the 3d-looking title image
and
> links look great, and I know they are not very big. I guess it's just
a "pet
> peeve" of mine.

> I would be willing to scrap what little I have done, and help the
group
> get your base up and running. The objective here is for KCLUG to have
the best
> site possible. It is, after all, representing all of us, and the Linux
> community as well.

> A little about myself, since I am not well known to the group.  Most
of my html
> is stuff I learned years ago.  I have not had the time to really use
it, and I
> know I've fallen behind the times.  The only active stuff I have ever
done is
> plain java.  There's a little "Helper" applet at

> http://home.kc.rr.com/cmidkiff/color.html

> (feel free to have a look) that I wrote several years ago.  Currently,
I am a
> network admin/programmer.  The programming is (unfortunately) in M$
C++ and