KCLUG?!?!?!

Rich Minear rminear at linuxstart.com
Sun Jan 16 04:02:39 CST 2000

No offence taken....however, I think you are being fairly short sighted
about Microsoft....

Don'g get me wrong, I have no love for the company...but some Microsoft
Products are good...

Microsoft Exchange server has been a very good, stable email/scheduling
system for our company....
If you use DHCP, WINS is a very good resource....it works very well.
There are others....

AMC runs Digital Unix (now Compaq), Solaris x86, Linux, NT 4.0, & Citrix
Winframe.

Most of the servers that our normal end users see on a daily basis are NT.
For file and print, or Exchange, they are fairly stable, and have good
uptime.  Not as good as our Unix boxes, but they aren't as big either.

As for being too lazy or stupid to learn something or to RTFM's....not
everyone wants or needs to do these things...
I have 300 end users just in our corporate office that could not give a damn
about RTFM or learning something.  They have a job to do, and they could
care less whether their product was open source, Microsoft, or any
other...they just want the damn thing to work.

Myself, I have 10 Unix servers (6 of which run high end Oracle databases), 2
OpenVMS systems (VAXs for the old guys!), 4 Linux boxes, 15 NT servers, and
227 Cisco Routers to keep up and running.  While doing that with a team of 6
people, I have 5 children, a wife who is a Senior at KU, my own classes for
finishing my degree, and my own training classes (Cisco IOS, NT 2000, Perl,
and shell programming).  I don't have time to RTFM either....

Long story short...Linux is wonderful! I love it...but I live in a Microsoft
dominated world (at least right now). So being able to do both keeps me in
demand in the job market.

Rich