Linuxfest, and Mandrake Beta

Chris Midkiff cmidkiff at kc.rr.com
Sun Jan 2 17:34:04 CST 2000

<quote Randy Reames>
I run Mandrake 6.1. I've read about 7.0. Is the graphical
install likeRH 6.1?  How stable is the beta? Did they get the DHCP problem
fixed?</quote>

The mandrake beta is still in pretty poor shape for general use.  The installer
is completly new, and works very well.  The rest of cooker has yet to be
updated(older version of X, etc).  They really only want people to test their
installer and the new config tools (which I have not tried yet, I can only hope
they work as well as the DrakX installer).

It's not even similar to the RH gui installer (which for some reason took
everything about networking out of the install procedure for workstation... and
will not even let you set your hostname.  Sorry, I could rant about this for a
while.)

I installed the 7.0 beta on a machine that I use as a
linux based router(Coyote Distro).  Makes a good test machine, but I can't play
with it forever, as it takes down my home network's internet connection.

I'm not sure what DHCP Problem you are refering to, 6.1 had a
problem retriving dhcp info in the supplied Pump package...  I just grabbed the
version in Redhat's errata for RH6.0. Somehow did'nt get into 'drake 6.1

btw... I'm grabbing the DemoLinux iso image right now.  Worth a try...

 --  (Insert silly little sig here)
Chris Midkiff
cmidkiff at kc.rr.com
cmidkiff at ladybaltimore.com